The Basics for Acquiring Licenses

Posted on July 20, 2015

With Hurricane Danny continuing to strengthen in the eastern Atlantic Ocean, now is the time to be sure you have all the necessary licenses and they are up-to-date, should it turn into a hurricane and affect the U.S. coastline.

It can be quite confusing, but we’re here to simplify things and answer any questions you may have.

Your resident or Designated Home State (DHS) license should be the first you acquire. Most states that license independent adjusters require a resident or DHS adjusting license, even for declared disasters. If your state does not have a licensing requirement, you need to select a state as your DHS and get licensed in that state. States we recommend as your DHS, if you reside in a non-licensing state are:

  • Alabama
  • Indiana
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Oklahoma

Once you have acquired your DHS license, you should begin applying for additional licenses in various states, depending on the season. For example, be sure to have state licenses that border the coastline in hurricane season and western states during fire season.

We also recommend that you get licenses for Texas and New York after you have your DHS license.

  • Texas – because it takes longer for licenses to be issued therefore holding up your chance for deployment.
  • New York – due to recent changes in protocol allowing only those with a NY license to work claims, in addition to a difficult exam. We have programs set-up with AdjusterPro and Insurance-Schools for NY Pre-Exam Courses and have had great results.

For assistance or questions about any of this information, please contact Pilot’s Licensing Department at 251-607-7784.

Not a member of Pilot’s team? Apply Now!