Keeping Track of Your Claims Adjuster Licensing

Posted on September 18, 2015

For catastrophic insurance adjusters, keeping track of different states’ claims adjuster licensing requirements can feel like piecing together a puzzle whose pieces are scattered about. Each state has different requirements, and you must meet each state’s requirements to legally work as an insurance adjuster in that state. No matter how you keep track of all your credentials, you’ll want to pay attention to these specific claims adjuster licensing requirements.

Licensing Requirements in Different States

Adjuster licensing requirements are determined by state laws, which is why they vary from state to state. According to an article on PropertyCasualty360:

  • 34 states have licensing requirements for independent adjusters
  • 16 states have licensing requirements for staff adjusters
  • 22 states have licensing or Certificate of Authority requirements for adjuster firms

Of the states that have licensing requirements, some have reciprocity agreements with others. You’ll want to check the reciprocity agreements of the states you’re certified in regularly, to ensure they haven’t significantly changed since you go your license.

Keeping a Copy of Your Licenses

Once you’ve met the licensing requirements for a state, it’s important to keep a copy of your physical license. Occasionally there are administrative errors, and sometimes licenses are lost. You should keep a copy of each license you have on hand, even if it’s expired, in case you need to prove you are or were qualified to work as an adjuster in a specific state.

Maintaining Your Licenses

Many states that have licensing requirements also have continuing education unit (CEU) requirements. CEUs are credits that adjusters earn for ongoing educational activities. You might get a CEU for:

  • reading a book and filing a report on it
  • taking an online class
  • attending a conference

Maintaining the necessary licenses is an important aspect, albeit an annoying one, of working as an insurance adjuster. If you haven’t reviewed your licenses recently, make sure you’re licensed in every state you work in, you have copies of your licenses and you’re meeting your CEU requirements. Keep track of these three things, and you shouldn’t ever have an issue proving you’re qualified to be an adjuster.

Looking to join Pilot Cat as an insurance claims adjuster? Contact us today for more information.